Pages

Friday, December 23, 2011

A New Post on a New Year


I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, full of 'jule hygge' (which essentially translates as cosy Christmas time) and all of the delightful things that makes Christmas so much fun!

I have written three blog posts in the past few days and haven't even posted one!
Why?
Well, frankly I am a perfectionist, and I am usually unsatisfied with what I do and specifically what I write. I always feel I am capable of so much more!

I need to learn to have a more 'laissez faire' attitude...which segways perfectly into what I really wanted to write to you about- New Years Resólutions!

Traditionally I have scoffed at the fact that gyms receive more new memberships in January than any other time of the year, and that universally, people see a new year as a chance for a fresh start.
Don't misunderstand me, it is not that I think any of thís 'fresh start' business is worthy of scorn!
Au contraire!
Rather, shouldn't every day, every hour and every minute afford the same opportunity? And not just January?

Well this year I am putting aside any pretences at 'high-mindedness' and joining the masses in penning my resolutions for 2012.
And I have a lot. I filled three full pages with my dreams, ambitions and goals for the next twelve months, and even then I felt it was just the scant, bare bones of what I really wanted to express.

I am not going to bore you with a list, but I will tell you it ranged from the trivial (drink more water) to the deeply personal.

I am 21 years old, and I have managed to survive the most difficult and challenging year of my relatively young life. I am ending this year with a very different mindset than the one with which I began it, and for that I am sincerely grateful.
I have high hopes for the next 12 months and feel nothing but excitement for what they may hold in store for me.

The celebrating begins tonight for me actually, a big family dinner, and then another one tomorrow night, on the 31'st...and then I will go into town after midnight with a friend to meet up with some more people and continue the celebrations.

Yup. Those are my plans.

I am including a clip from 'When Harry Met Sally,' one of my all time favourite rom-coms.
Why is this relevant? Because the end of the movie, the romantic climax, takes place on New Years, and well if you watch it you'll see. It is pretty cute.

Happy New Years everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shan !

    Happy New year !! I know that 2012 is going to be a really excitng and excellent year for you ... and your family back in Langley is eagerly looking forward to your return home :) ... of course, you will have many adventures before then, and I hear, a certain big sister will be joining you in mid-April to make that adventure happen ... how exciting is that ??

    Dad xxx/ooo

    ReplyDelete