Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Old Town...and a Glimpse into my Bedroom

Den Gamle By (The Old Town)
I have been living in Denmark for nearly six months now, and during the course of this time I have heard time and time again to go to Den Gamle By (the Old Town). Well, I am pretty sure I feigned interest only to immediately push the whole thing to the darkest regions of my mind. I suppose I thought it sounded slightly dull and tedious, and exactly like one of those culturally enlightening experiences you do simply to be able to check it off your list. To be able to flippantly answer when asked, 'Oh yes. I saw it. It was interesting...' etc.

Well, as these pictures bear witness, I finally made it to Den Gamle By and what is more shocking, I genuinely enjoyed it. I went with my Danish family last Sunday and the place was buzzing. You could barely move there were so many people there to see what a traditional Danish Christmas in the 18'th and 19'th century would have looked like.

What is remarkable about this place is that none of it has been replicated. Every single building, stone, and stick of furniture is authentic and has been transported from all over Denmark to recreate life in 'the Old Country.'


Hot Coals. It was bitterly cold while we were there and boy was I happy for this sight.

Oh yes- I thought this was picture-worthy, because never in a million years would
a public place in the US or Canada allow hot coals be left unattended for people's enjoyment.
Can you imagine the potential law suits?


It was EXTREMELY cold while we were there and you can see a think layer of ice on the canal.




A snapshot of a snapshot of Denmark in the 1930's.




The market, and a very patient horse pulling his load through the crowd.





Little I. and Julemæn.
As you can see she is not at all shy.
She wandered off and when I turned around she was deep in conversation with Santa Clause
and received little cookies from him for being such a good girl.



A garden used to grow herbs for the 'Apotheka' (the pharmacy)















This is NOT a part of the Old Town, but what you are viewing is in fact the
artwork that decorates one of the walls of my bedroom. I found these free cards at a
little cafe and decided that they would add some colour to my bare walls.



I added the flags for Christmas, but the little bird remains perched in my
window on a permanent basis.





My bedroom and the lighting fixture that I just dusted after finding
a tall enough chair to stand on.




I wasn't going to include this picture, buuuttt I decided, meh...why not?
Anybody that know me knows I am generally quite neat, with the major exception of my bedroom, and living here
has done nothing to change that.
This is the chair and the desk and the laptop that I spend...probably too much time on.

That little beige purse you can see sitting on the desk? It has been so abused
and overused it is falling a part, but it holds all of my loose change, cards, makeup, bobby pins,
receipts and has served me well.

And the empty plastic mug that you can see beside my laptop if you squint hard enough? That my friends is
the mug that I have become very attached to. It feels like an old friend
and I enjoy several cups of Earl Grey tea from its depths every day.


So there you have it.
It is all happening.
This is real life.

In the mean time, have a very, Merry Christmas to all- and to all a good-night.


P.S. Check back for a new post shortly after the Holidays (but before New Years).


1 comment:

  1. Hi Shan,

    What beautiful pictures you have posted. I think you are very talented with a camera. I love the way you capture the "flavour" of Denmark. That is really "top shelf" .... now there's a good "Canadiana" expression. If I could make one special request for future pictures, and that is, include more people in the pics when you can ... I love the pics that include people in them. Oh, and those pics of Isabella all by herself talking to Julemaen .... priceless !! She is very cute, and I'm sure, worthy of the cookie Julemaen gave her !!

    Dad xxx/ooo

    ReplyDelete